The heart is not just a muscle that pumps blood through your veins. Some have called the heart our ‘little brain’ and perhaps it’s time we all start listening to it.
Listening to our heart helps show our real purpose in life, gives inspiration and helps create balance. So often we drudge through life not really living the life we’re meant to. That’s not to say quit your dull day job, throw caution to the wind and live as a free spirit.
However, you can take steps to start living in the moment and with heart felt intent.
Ten great reasons to follow your heart:
1. Bring balance back into your life. Like a set of scales with a balancing mechanism, our hearts and bodies do best when on an even keel. Balancing the things that we feel passionate about with things we feel a commitment to do will help keep our internal balancing mechanism even.
2. Develop your natural talents. We all have things that we like to do or would like to learn. Developing these talents can lighten the heart and possibly even lead to a new venture in our lives.
3. Enjoy a life-enhancing attitude. Sometimes the path our heart takes us on is unfamiliar and can be a little frightening. However, when we follow our desires and reach for our dreams our lives cannot help but be enriched.
4. Become more alert and aware of what is going on around you. So often we walk through life with our eyes figuratively closed, doing what we feel me must and ignoring our desires. When we open ourselves up and become aware of what is going on around us we also allow our dreams and desires to come to light.
5. Waste less time on negative thoughts and actions. When we spend our time thinking negative thoughts and doing things that don’t make us feel good it brings us down. This can cause stress and heartache. Getting rid of negativity can lighten our load and make our hearts soar.
6. Increase your creativity and imagination. We can do just about anything we set our minds to. If you want to do something it just takes imagination and creativity to make it happen. This is the same ‘can do’ attitude of a child playing make believe. If you can dream it, you can do it. You just have to let your inner child out.
7. Get in touch with your higher self. Tuning in to your heart and connecting with the positive energy inside you brings you closer to your spiritual self. Experience the beauty that lives inside of you and let it help lead you where you want to go.
8. Better understand your life’s purpose. When we open ourselves up to possibilities, we may see possibilities that we never knew existed. Once you discover what your heart truly wants, you will have more faith in pursuing it.
9. Have more confidence and personal well-being. A person who follows their heart believes in what they are doing has a better sense of well-being. Following our heart can often lead to understanding what we are truly meant to do and be in this life.
10. Share more grace, love and compassion. Once you’ve connected with your heart and given yourself permission to follow it, you will feel more compassionate toward yourself and confident in your life’s journey. And when you feel love and compassion for yourself, it is easier to share it with others.
As noted before, the heart is sometimes called the ‘little brain’ and while the little brain is driven by love and fulfillment, the ‘big brain’ can often be driven by ego, insecurity and fear.
Fear and insecurity of not having enough money, or not having the prestige you feel you should. Letting go of some of the fear can help create a more free and harmonious heart.
Doing what you love brings balance to your life. Start by making a list of the things that are most important to you be they emotional, physical or monetary.
Then make a list of things that make or would make you feel good including hobbies and people you enjoy. Look at those lists and see where compromises could be made to do more things on the ‘feel good’ list.
Set aside time to see friends and family, go on a picnic, meditate, take small steps and don’t forget to stop and smell the lilacs. Become more aware…sometimes things on the ‘important’ list start to become less so.
Sometimes it is hard to know where to start. Goal setting can help by allowing you to do some of the things that you’d like without compromising those you feel you need to do. Set goal limits, what do you want to happen in a month, 3 months, a year…? If you’ve always wanted to paint and think that would make you feel good-do it! Don’t know how to paint?
Colleges often offer low cost continuing education classes that could help you meet that goal. It would look something like this; 30 day goal-take a class on painting, 90 day goal-frame first completed picture.
Soon you’ll be reaping the rewards by following your passions dictated by doing what you love rather than letting fear and insecurity govern your life.
Following your heart will ultimately make the world a better place for you and those around you.
Enjoy the journey!
Be The Highest Vision Of Yourself,